Thursday, September 13, 2012

My Take on 50 Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey is not for the faint of heart.

Some people refuse to read it. Others read it and want to burn the memory from their brains. Some use it as a manual to vamp up their sex life.

Whatever.

I have been trying to conjure up my own opinion of the book. Is it filth or fantastic?

From a writer's perspective E.L James is a freakin' genius.

Whether you loved the book or felt like you needed to shower after--it got the masses talking. As a writer, that is a great achievement. When you work on something that has the potential to only collect dust on a book rack, it is a pretty big deal when everybody has something to say about what you have written.

As far as the story line--eh. I mean sure it is heavily decorated in a sex fetish--but at the end of the day it's just a love story plus handcuffs and a riding crop.

Some Things to Consider:
If reading about sex makes you feel icky--not the book for you.
If you didn't like the first book--don't read the next two.
If you hated the series--don't watch the movie.
If you're embarrassed you read it and liked it--don't tell your mom.
If your mom read it and liked it--embrace her freak flag.

All in all--I thought it was alright. I admit--I have the cast in my head of who should play who in the upcoming film. Whatever. When the book gets banned I'll have rebel status.

No comments:

Post a Comment